Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Slow cooking

I love my slow cooker a/k/a crock-pot. I try to use it as much as possible - especially in the winter. Pete loves it, too. We do stews, soups, roasts, bbq chicken, etc. I just found this really cool website/blog written by a lady who cooked in her slow cooker every day in 2008. She has a cookbook coming out in October, which I'm sure I'll be getting. (I also love cookbooks and read them like "regular" books.) The site is cool because she describes the recipe and whether or not her family liked it. Funny thing is, I just realized that I actually saw her on Rachael Ray last year. I just don't remember her mentioning that she had a blog. I'm excited to try it! I may even post a few recipes here if they work out. Tonight is the first night of Awana, so I'll be trying the crockpot lasagna. How bad can that be? (to quote another of my favs - Barefoot Contessa) Have I mentioned that I love to cook? **************************************************** UPDATE: The lasagna was very yummy. I used: 1 jar barilla sweet pepper sauce; 1 container part-skim; reduced fat ricotta cheese; shredded carrot; sauteed swiss chard; 2 links turkey sausage; mozzarella cheese; oregano; garlic powder. Put a few spoonfuls in the bottom of the crock, and start layering. When you get to the top, fill your sauce jar about 1/2 way full with water, shake to get all of the tomato sauce bits and pour over the top. I added fresh parsley & basil to the top right before serving. (Thanks jen's garden.)I cooked it on high and it was done in about 3 1/2 hours.

No comments: