Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Booking It - June 2010

I've been trying to read more this year - trying being the operative word.  I do pretty well for a few weeks and then get so busy that all I seem to have time for is People or OK Magazines.  I follow fishmama, and I've been meaning to post what I've been reading, but, you guessed it - never got around to it. So, this list may be more of a compilation - the best and the worst - of what I've read this year.

Starting with...current reads:

1. House Rules by Jodi Picoult.  Although Picoult has been around for a while, I just recently started reading her books.  My Sister's Keeper was the first that I read. (BTW - book is way better than the movie in my opinion).  So far I'm having a REALLY hard time getting into this book - it is actually the second time I got it from the library.  It's a short loan because it's new, and I just couldn't get into it the first time around.  I just picked up a few more of her books for a quarter at garage sales, so I'm sure I'll have reviews later this summer.

2. Captivating by John & Stasi Eldridge.  I'm doing a review on this one when I'm done.

Recently read:

1. Ivy & Bean, Ivy & Bean Take Care of the Babysitter, Ivy & Bean:  Bound to be Bad, Ivy & Bean and the Ghost that had to Go; Ivy & Bean:  Doomed to Dance; Ivy & Bean Break the Fossil Record all by Annie Barrows.  My 4 year old is very into I&B these days and is sad that the new book does not come out until the fall.  Fortunately I can usually read through these with her in about a day.  Pretty soon she'll be reading them by herself.  My 2 year old even loves I&B now.  Next we are reading Mr. Popper's Penguins & the Ramona series (found the first 4 books in a set at TJMaxx for $12.00!)  We also have a few Bobbsey Twins books, which I LOVED when I was a kid.  They were right up there with the Little House series.

2. Certain Girls and Best Friends Forever both by Jennifer Weiner.  Both were ok.  I read Weiner years ago and Certain Girls was a sequel, so I liked that one.  The other was ok. 

3. Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner.  I just finished this one last week.  I actually liked it.  It was an easy read, which is exactly what I need these days.

4. I Will Carry You by Angie Smith.  I have been following her blog for a while.  I actually downloaded her book for free from Amazon, and I'm reading it on my computer. 

5. Churched by Matthew Turner.  I did not like this book at all.  You can read my review here.

6. Look Again by Lisa Scottoline.  Love this. 

7. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.  Loved this book. 

8. The Blue Cotton Gown:  A Midwife's Memoir by Patricia Harman.  I was excited to read this and thought I would like it since I am an amateur midwife/OB-GYN (my sister is a certified nurse midwife).  I did not like it.  I ended up skimming it.  I know other people that did like it, though.

Coming up:  Finishing House Rules (maybe); Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah; and The Help, which I got for my birthday in January and still have not read it (it keeps getting buried under library books).

No comments: